Museum Trustee, Marylou Laughlin, has been awarded USPA's Lifetime Achievement Award "for unsurpassed selfless contribution to the sport of skydiving and the United States Parachute Association as a leader, competitor, judge and U.S. representative within the international skydiving community." Marylou was unanimously selected for the award during USPA's 2021 summer meeting.
Marylou started skydiving in 1988. She has ferociously advocated for the sport and built upon our competition history. Earning her D license in the same year she began, Marylou has more than 4,400 skydives to date… and still counting! She served as the U.S. Parachute Association’s Northeast Regional Director from 1999-2013 and was a member of the competition committee—later voted in by the board as the chair of the committee and as the delegate to the International Parachuting Commission, was the Chair of the CF Committee and also Vice President. She is well respected and well loved by her colleagues and peers.
Marylou is Secretary for the Board of Trustees of the International Skydiving Museum and serves on the Board's Executive Committee. She is also chair of the museum's Path of Excellence/Pioneers of Excellence Committee and co-chair of the Nominations & Elections Committee and a member of the Development and Events Committees.
Marylou dominates other activities as well holding a private pilot’s license and a PADI Advanced Open-Water certificate.
An energetic and positive skydiver, Marylou continues to improve the sport and help push the boundaries for a bright future in skydiving competitions around the world!
Marylou recently relocated to DeLand, Florida from Connecticut. She lives with her pet cat (her “child” as she says), Simah.
Competitions and Records
- 5-Time USPA Nationals Gold Medalist
- 7-Time USPA Nationals Silver Medalist
- 7-Time USPA Nationals Bronze Medalist
- U.S. Parachute Team Member - Paraski and Style and Accuracy
- Masschusetts State Large Formation record - 81-way
Awards and Ratings
- 1,000-Jump Wings (1988)
- 2,000-Jump Wings (1995)
- 3,000-Jump Wings (1997)
- 4,000-Jump Wings (2001)
- 12-Hour Freefall Badge (1993)
- 24-Hour Freefall Badge (1997)
- PRO Rated (exp. 2009)
- USPA National Judge: Accuracy Landing, Canopy Formation, Canopy Piloting, Formation Skydiving, Style
- USPA Regional Judge: Accuracy Landing, Canopy Formation, Canopy Piloting, Formation Skydiving, Style
- Advisor to Canopy Piloting Committee for International Skydiving Commission
- Past Vice President for International Skydiving Commission
- World Records Judge
- Chief Judge for Canopy Piloting at the 2020 FAI World Parachuting Championships - Mondial
- Fédération Aéronautique Internationale Judge in Canopy Piloting
- Former Fédération Aéronautique Internationale Canopy Formation Committee Chair
- Fédération Aéronautique Internationale Leonardo Da Vinci Diploma recipient
- Honorary Golden Knight